This course is designed to meet the requirements of ILS courses laid down by UK Resus Council guidelines and is certified by First Medical Training. This CPD course meets the criteria for the General Dental Council’s development outcomes C.
The aim is to train healthcare personnel in cardiopulmonary resuscitation, simple airway management and safe defibrillation, enabling them to manage patients in cardiac arrest until the arrival of a cardiac arrest team and to participate as members of that team. The course is run over one day and consists of lectures and practical sessions. This course also now includes the latest CPR and Coronavirus recommendations.
Duration: 6 hours
- Describe the principles that underpin basic life support
- Explain the circumstances under which resuscitation is performed
- Explain why early intervention is necessary
- Describe different types of cardiopulmonary arrest
- Understand what pulse oximetry is and why it is important in assessing a patient
- Explain the ABCDE approach to patient care
- Explain how to check a patient’s pulse, temperature, blood pressure and other observations.
- Explain what Hypoxia is and how it affects the patient
- Explain the difference between heart attack, angina and sudden cardiac arrest.